Transport 2031 vision under fire
19/Jul/2011
Comments:
THERE will be no major improvements to transport links in the south-east metropolitan area until after 2031, according to the State Government’s Public Transport for Perth 2031 document released last week for public comment.
The extension of the Thornlie line through Canning Vale to the Mandurah line was included in the transport plan, but it will not be built until after 2031.
Southern River MLA Peter Abetz said he was pleased the extension had been included in the blueprint as he had been advocating it since he was elected, but he called for it to be fast-tracked.
“With the continuing development in Canning Vale and Southern River, I believe that the project will need to be commenced well before the 2031 date suggested,” Mr Abetz said.
Gosnells MLA Chris Tallentire said he was extremely disappointed by the document.
“The plan represents another broken promise, with the Thornlie line extension being dust-binned.
“(Premier Colin) Barnett has condemned people in Southern River and Huntingdale to years of gridlock, frustration and expense.
“Next time you are stuck in traffic on roads like Nicholson Road or Ranford Road, prepare for the situation to get worse as our south-east metro population grows without further public transport investment.
“The fact is there’s no money in the Government’s plan for this part of Perth.
“There are no dollars, just empty hands and no vision. We need deeds, not words.”
He said that by 2031, the only addition to public transport for residents in his electorate would be some bus lanes.
Other projects earmarked for after 2031 include a rapid bus transit link from Armadale to Cockburn Central and the extension of the Armadale rail line to Mundijong.
The plan is open for public comment until October 14 and is available at www.transport.wa.gov.au. |